Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Nicole: Introduction



Hi there,

I'm an alternate for the GSE Thailand trip, and even though I am currently out of the country I am doing my best to keep up with the team. I enjoyed meeting Eileen and Judy briefly, and I can't wait to meet else everyone involved in person. I'll be back from travelling very soon and am looking forward to working with everyone in the group, and doing what I can to help them prepare for a sucessful trip!

I am a legal assistant from Ann Arbor, Michigan (I grew up in Macomb, and went to Alma College, both in Michigan). At Alma, I majored in Economics and Philosophy. I've lived in the Ann Arbor area for about four years. I'm most interested in international and human rights law, as well as alternative conflict resolution. Over the past few years, I've enjoyed my experiences with progressive techniques in mediation/conflict resolution and collaborative law. With regard to the GSE program, I'm currently learning about the Thai legal system-- including both the local and superior courts and quasi-judicial Islamic tribunals. I'm also interested in Thailand's current human rights and accompanying legal issues (the focus of several current UN initiatives and positive recognition for the king!).

Right now I'm travelling in Switzerland, Italy and NYC. Some of the "fun" highlights of my trip include the Natural History museum in NYC (including an exhibit on Thailand's history and culture), cooking for and hosting an "American Thanksgiving" for 25 international students at a Swiss university, and exploring the underground aquaducts in Napoli.

I hope to add more as the blog progresses... in the meantime, I can't wait to hear from everyone!

No comments: