Thursday, March 8, 2007

The Courts in Phuket

Today I had the honor of visiting both the general court in Phuket and the Juvenile Court. In the photo, you see me and my host family just after I met the Head Judge at the general court. The judges and I compared our respective court system structures, and the criminal procedures governing Thailand's version of a Prosecuting Attorney. At the family court, I learned that there is a basis for dividing property 50/50 in a divorce in Thailand, similar to the US. I also learned that either parent can gain custody of the child--or have shared custody after a divorce, and the child' best interests are the number one factor judge consider.

The keyboard here is different and difficult to use, so I'll keep this short-- but I've been compiling blog entries on my personal computer and I'll update the blog just as soon as I can connect it to the internet!

1 comment:

C D R said...

Interesting to hear all about the law system.Family law has similar priorities as Michigan, eh? Sounds exciting to be meeting judges in Thailand. Do they speak any English?