Saturday, March 10, 2007

Life in Thailand.


Kim here with a Thai update. It has been difficult lately to get on a computer. Yesterday and today we have been staying at a hotel in Phuket. The entire team is enjoying our free time here at the resort.I spent my morning walking around, climbing a look-out tower and strolling through a park that is home to 3 elephants. This afternoon, I spent time in the sun.

So, now it is official. As you can see from the photo, I am getting darker. I am no longer the "beautiful farang" (foreigner) that I was when I arrived. The Thai people love white skin so the darker we get, the less attractive we become. I am going to be one sorry sight by the time we leave...... especially after today and even more so if we continue to get sun time. In Thailand,being white is a social status. Those who work outside get darker so they are considered to be of the lower class. Count me in as a worker!!!!!!!!!

We will be meeting with a new Rotary group tonight. They are having an inauguration at our hotel.

Tomorrow we leave for Trang. That is as far south as we will be going before heading back towards Bangkok. We are anticipating a wonderful 11 hour train ride to our next destination, Hua Hin. Yikes !!!!!!!!!!! Let's hope we're in first class like our last train ride.

Well, it's time to get back to chilling out in the oh so hot sun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Chow for now !!!

1 comment:

C D R said...

You look beautiful! The elephant is cute too!! When can I join you?
Your all doing a great job posting! Enjoying every minute of it.