Friday, March 9, 2007

Giant Catfish and the Falls in Nakorn

Here I am working up the courage to swim with some HUGE catfish at the waterfall near Nakorn SiThammarat... As you can see, I'm wearing shorts and a Tshirt over my bathing suit-- because everyone else was swimming in clothes! I've pretty much given up tank tops and swimsuits here in favor of more modest dress like the native Thais. Even I raise my eyebrows to see spaghetti straps on the street now! No one wore a bathing suit to swim at the falls, for the combined reasons of modesty and not wanting to get too much sun. At first I thought everyone just decided to have an impromptu swim in their clothes, but then I realized it's just normal to swim in shorts and t shirt or even jeans. Just a tidbit of Thai culture! P.S. In Phuket all the falang on holiday wear bathing suits, speedos and skimpy "international standard" resort wear (and FYI there were plenty of topless sunbathers here, even though technically it's frowned upon). (Picture to Come)

No comments: