Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Sunset Beach Resort, Patong Beach, Phuket Isalnd


Late afternoon on Wednesday, March 7th, we arrived on Phuket Island to meet our next host. I did not realize how big this island was. I was being hosted by Mr. Veerachai Ungtrakul and his family. They let me stay at their hotel, Sunset Beach Resort, in Patong Beach. The hotel was beautiful. Mr. Ungtrakul and I had a good conversation about the Tsunami that hit Thailand about 2.5 years ago (December 26th, 2004). Patong Beach was the hardest hit in Thailand. However, I did not see to much damage today or even know that it had occured. He said that the waves were 6 – 7 feet high at his hotel. At least one of the hotel vehicles were picked up by the wave and thrown into the building. There were motorcycles thrown into the pool along with many fish from the Indian Ocean. It took 3 – 6 months for them to fix up everything, replace chairs and clean before business resumed. I also learned that the Thai people’s way of thinking is to just pick up and move on. The picture is from my 5th floor room looking at the pool. The ocean would be to the right of the picture.

1 comment:

C D R said...

They're hotel? Wow. Right now I am thinking of how I can meet Mr. Ungtrakul and his family. Do the Thai's know what a sugar family would be?
It is amazing how they have rebuilt since the Tsunami. We are still hearing bad things about the Katrina area. Kudos the the Thai's and the Ungtrakul family.